What is NAD?
NAD stands for Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide. NAD is an essential coenzyme (a coenzyme is a substance that is crucial to the activity of an enzyme) that transfers energy from food into cellular energy. NAD is responsible helping the body function properly on a cellular level, it repairs, structures and remodels every cell in the body.
When the body is deficient in NAD, issues such as disease, weight gain, inflammation and signs of aging occur. In other words, when NAD is not present or present at low levels there is cellular self-destruction. At birth, our NAD levels are very high because there is so much accelerated growth going on in the body. However, by the time a person reaches the age of 20, the levels of NAD have dropped approximately 50%.
By age 50 the NAD levels are approximately 80% of what they were at birth, and by age 60 the NAD levels are a fraction of what they originally were. Alcohol and drug use contribute to NAD depletion. Intravenous NAD can be given to rapidly increase levels of NAD in the body. This has been shown to be effective in many of the diseases associated with aging, addiction, and chronic pain. NAD+ is the oxidized (loses an electron) form of NAD and NADH is the reduced (gains an electron) form of NAD.
NAD has been linked to the following:
- Optimization of metabolism
- Promote Sirtuin gene activation (Sirtuins are proteins that regulate numerous cellular functions, such as inflammation, cellular death, and longevity. They play a protective role by reducing inflammation, especially in Complex Regional Pain Syndrome and neurodegeneration)
- Enhances the growth and efficiency of mitochondria, boosting mental and physical energy (mitochondrial depletion in cells is linked to physical symptoms of aging)
- Enhances cognitive health reversing effects of aging on the brain
- Repairs DNA
- Reduces/eliminates drug cravings
- Linked to oxytocin production
- Improving immunity
The bottom line is that NAD can be effective in a variety of disorders. There has been an explosion in research for NAD treating chronic pain, PTSD, anxiety, depression, and addiction, in addition to its anti-aging effects. This is a great choice for anyone with any of the aforementioned challenges and for wellness and anti-aging.